You might wish to use screws instead of nails.  A bit better holding
power.  Drywall is rarely more than what, half an inch or 5/8?  If you
have lath and plaster it could be a bit thicker.  In some cases, someone
may have thrown drywall up over another layer of messed up drywall or old
plaster.  In any case, you are going into studs that are probably 3.5
inches, and you want to be in there pretty good to hold up a cabinet, so I
would say that 2.5 inch screws will get you there and back.  If you are
going through a nailing strip inside the cabinet, you might need to add an
extra half to the length of the screw.

Now, take this with a grain of salt since I've never put up a cabinet.
I've just got some time on my hands at the moment and thought I'd respond.
There are others with more experience, who's advice you should probably
trust more.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi