Yah, I am gonna use screws, but I had a box of nails in front of me so that's
what I typed. Was hanging stuff up lol.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Fowle
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 12:10 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] studs

  I can imagine finding the thickness of the dry wall in either of
  the two ways described:
  1. drill through the dry wall in a place which will be covered and where
  there is no stud. Drill through very slowly so you will feel when you break
  through the plaster.. Stop the drill, wait for it to cool off, pinch
  the drill bit with fingers just at the edge of the wall, and
  remove the bit. Measure the bit that protrudes beyond your pinched
  fingers.

  Other way, I'd do both, is drill through the wall where there seems to be a
  studd, stop when the resistance seems to increase as the stud
  is probably harder than the dry wall, and measure as above.

  Hope that's not too much detail?

  I also agree, don't put up a cabinet with nails, use long screws into studs.

  Tom