I had a discussion this mourning about power usage of items in stand-by
mode.  There was mention of this on this list before about the power used by
appliances when in the off mode.  Regardless of what it could be; microwave
oven, computer or TV, most use power when off especially if we like the instant
on feature of items.
     A couple placed all there appliances on power strips so they could turn
them completely off, reasonably in a easy way anyway.  Their electric bill has
been slashed in half and they were really excited.
     Apparently they do not have a microwave like mine that needs the time set
before it is usable.  I figured I would pass this information along.
     I found something that reduced my electric bill almost in half by
accident, my daughter got married and moved out.hahaha