Aloha Bill,
I'm coming in on this a bit late, but I have
questions. I have had dehumidifiers running in my
home for 12 years and have never found them to be
"infernally" noisy. Mine turn off when the air is
dry enough. If it is running when I want real
quiet, I just turn it off for awhile. I have
always had mine on the floor. I didn't want to
run a drain hose outside so we need to be able to
get to the container that collects the water to
empty it. I really wonder if there is something
wrong with your unit. Mine is sitting on the
carpet and I just check to see of there was any
damage to the carpet and I see nothing to
indicate that the unit is vibrating as I think you mentioned that yours does.

I do remember that the instruction sheet that
came with mine said to put it on the floor
because that is where most of the moisture is,
and to make sure that there is a minimum of 18
inches of space around the sides and top for the best air circulation.
Betsy