I use filtered water. I find it makes a difference when tasted side by
side with non filtered potable.
How does one know when it is time to clean a coffee maker?
I run  16 oz of vinegar through and then about 3/4 gal of water after.
I taste the final water, that's why it's up to 3/4 gal.
I let it run through all parts and then rinse them with the last cycle
after i wash them in the sink.