Rita,
I don't know if you have one where you live, but in many cities
around the country, there is something called FreeCycle. It is a
listserv where people ask for what they need and others offer things
they don't need anymore. The rules are that everything has to be
free, no strings attached. You have to pick up the items that you
want. It's a good way to find all kinds of scrap wood, carpet pieces,
etc. I've even seen cars and trucks being given away on mine. Just a
thought for getting what you need. You could google FreeCycle list
and then it will ask for your zip code.