We bought a house with an automatic garage door opener. But the door never
opens far enough. Is it broken, or can I adjust it somehow?

It sounds like you simply need to adjust the travel on the door opener. Some
manufacturers place two setscrews at either the side or rear of the motor.
Other manufacturers include knobs on the bottom to adjust the travel. And
certain units have trip levers on the travel bar that can be repositioned.
These are all methods to adjust travel setting, and if you're confused about
your particular model, refer to the manufacturer's instructions.