if it's heavy wet snow, take little bits, and lift with the knees. A snow
shovel is safer as it will break if too much heavy wet snow is put on it.
It is also good for wide paths in fluff.
Do not chop with it.
If you are chopping, or lifting heavy snow, a flat nosed coal shovel will
handle it; but be careful of your lower back. Wear gloves to keep from
getting frostbite or blisters against the handle.
A coal shovel will also have a longer handle, for when you can lever a
quantity, as in the case of a lump you need to flip to the side.