Hi Gary,
This is an interesting idea, although I don't much believe in an
internalized biological sense of direction.  some people are good at it and
many aren't

I've been working with a "tactile" compass at work using a servo motor
driving a pointer on a "braille" dial. Problem is the motor in the servo
messes with the magnetic compass sensor.  So you need two boxes and I
consider that unacceptably clunky.  Also I've found that when continuously
following a compass in a tipical urban environment, there is a heck of a lot
of iron about which causes the compasses heading to be effected a lot.

I plan to add a "solid state gyro" module and try to average out the two
headings in software, thus hopefully the short term instabilities in the
magnetic compass will be evened out by the gyro, and the long term drift
expected from the gyro can be corrected by the compass.

The idea of using pager vibrators  is interesting, but I'd still worry about
proximity effects on the compass.  I've looked in to non-magnetic motors and
so far they all seem way to weak to do the job.

Still an idea in the research phase.

My possible uses included crossing large open areas with no sound or tactile
cues

The compass in the referenced article would give only 30 degrees of
resolution, maybe not bad over the long haul, but not good enough to get you
to that entrance across the big parking lot.

All very interesting

thanks
tom Fowle
Smith-Kettlewell RERC