Wow, glad you asked this question. I just Googled
Instructions for Using Drano and found a site
with all kinds of instructions. Here's the link
and some information that will answer your question.

Thanks to its unique churning action and heat,
Drano® Kitchen Crystal Clog Remover is the
product you need when you've got a stubborn
kitchen clog. Its granular formula melts most
grease clogs in minutes, but it's also great on
hair, soap scum, and other debris that blocks
your drains. And because you only need a small
amount to get the job done right, a single
container of Drano® Kitchen Crystal Clog Remover lasts a long time.

Note: If your kitchen sink has a garbage
disposal, do not use Kitchen Crystals Clog Remover.

    * Best on grease and kitchen clogs
    * Safe for all pipes, septic tanks, and cesspools
    * Contains no phosphorus
    * Drano® Kitchen Crystal Clog Remover interacts with cold water.
    * The heat from the mixture works to melt and break down greasy clogs.
    * A final blast of cold water flushes away what's left of the clog.
    * Remove any standing water. Make sure water
in drain is cool. If possible, remove drain strainer.
    * Pour one heaping tablespoon (30 grams) of
Drano® drain openers into drainpipe. Securely
close lid on can. In case of spills, sweep into
dust pan, empty down nearest drain and pour cold water down the drain.
    * Immediately add one cup of cold water to
drain (if water boils out of drain, add another
cup of cold water). Rinse spoon immediately after use.
    * After 15 minutes, pour cold water down the
drain. If drain is still clogged, repeat
application. Do not repeat after second
application. Consult a plumber. For Floor Drains:
Follow the same procedure but use 3 heaping
tablespoons (90 grams) of Drano® drain openers and add 3 cups of cold water.
    * Use one tablespoon weekly as directed to keep drains running freely.

Never cover drain. Keep hands and face away from
drain and children away from sink area. Keep
Drano® drain openers and solutions of Drano® away
from eyes, skin and clothing. Keep water out of
can at all times to prevent contents from
violently erupting or boiling out. Never use or
mix with other drain cleaners or chemicals
before, during or after using Drano® drain
openers since Drano® may still be present if
drain did not completely clear and Drano® may
react with such products. Never use with plunger
or pressurized drain opener (splashback of lye
can occur). Even after use, Drano® drain openers
may still be present if drain did not completely
clear. Do not use in garbage disposers,
dishwashers, toilet bowls or in pipes directly
connected with such devices. Keep off all
surfaces, fixtures and utensils made all or in
part of aluminum, wood, paint, acrylic or fiberglass.
http://www.drano.com/clogged-kitchen-drain/