Our veryold toilet does same thing.  I've been told that lime buildup on the
inside of the bowl and trap can make it rough surfaced and thus slow the flow.

For now we just deal with it, using chemicals when absolutely necessary to
unblock it but usually just a rubber helper does the trick.

If you have water leaking down from the  tank even after it's refilled, you
may have a leaky flapper valve. These are easy to replace including the
seat with a single unit that has a sticky clay like epoxy that just
shoves over the old seat.  You then attach the new flapper's chain to the
flush handle, adjust for desired flow and you're done.

Tom Fowle