There is a battery that allows the key fob, which may be integrated
into the key, to unlock the doors etc. There is a chip typically in
the key (in the portion that hangs out of the ignition slot) that
tells the vehicle basically this key belongs to me and I can start
with this key. Otherwise, it would not start or may run for a few
seconds and stop. That requires no battery and I suspect it is sort of
a proximity thing where the key has to be so close or in the ignition
to function.