Hey Bill, yep, got the switch that actually controls a light that is
on the wall of all crazy things.  Not sure why the previous owner did
this, but really does nothing for providing light and well I have the
extra fan and light kit.  I thought about the external wiring deal,
but that didn't go over very well and yes, you are correct in that
there is a floor above this room.  One thing that hit me as I retired
for the day is that there is a main duct that runs perpendicular to
the joists and it is very possible I can fish down to the duct and
come up to where I need the box to be located.  So not hopeless, but
challenging. Once it is all done, it will have been worth it.