  From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]on Behalf Of Scott Howell
  Sent: Friday, August 07, 2009 7:33 PM
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] installing a ceiling fan-the tricky part

    All,

  I have a minor problem, ok not a problem so much as I'm just trying
  to find an easy way to do something that would be simple if I'd just
  stop trying to make life difficult.
  I cut a hole in the ceiling for the fan box and I should point out
  there is no fan or light etc. so a new install from scratch. I also
  have the added problem of fishing wire from where the switch is to the
  center of the room and of course the joists have the absolute nerve to
  be running perpendicular to the direction I need to go; damn builders
  didn't bother to consult with me before putting the place together,
  but ah well. Ok, so, yeah I could knock a hole every other joist and
  bang a hole in each joist and I only need a hole large enough to fit
  my hand in so I can fish the wire. Now because I'm such a clever
  fool, I wasted my money and got one of those four foot rods with the
  bit on the end, meant for drilling hole. Well first it seemed like a
  fine idea, but controlling that sucker wasn't easy and I'm fairly sure
  I piloted the bit under the duct that had the nerve to be in my way,
  but then I hit something that took the drill out of my hands and smash
  the hell out of my forearm. Now not to be out done by the drill, I
  tried again and got beat up by the drill again, but since I lack the
  good sense to stop, I did punch through to the other side, but I have
  no idea where in hell I ended up. So far my wife hasn't found any
  holes in the bedrooms upstairs and that must mean I made holes
  generally in the right direction. However, because I do lack common
  sense, I didn't realize that trying to pilot the fish tape through the
  holes I made will be damn near impossible. So, I think the holes are
  generally in line with each other, but has anyone any tips on driving
  a fish tape um, well, ahuh blindly through the joists? I'm trying so
  hard to avoid making anymore holes and trying to justify the cost of
  the bit/rod deal. I mean it'll be useful in driving up the wall into
  the whatever it's called up there, but seems I'd have to run the fish
  tape up that way and not through the hole where the fan box will go.
  Of course luck would have it that the hole I made is right against
  the beam and I'm hoping it won't cause me a lot of problems.
  Of course the real hoot to all this is if I end up making holes, I got
  one of those ceilings with the popcorn stuff on it. Well it's more
  like thick, sharp, knuckle-slashing popcorn stuff. So, patching the
  holes and finding that stuff will be interesting, but I still have the
  plug I cut out of the ceiling, so matching it shouldn't be to bad and
  it'll be easier in the end to patch that then if it were all smooth.
  See I'm trying to avoid making the lovely spouse unhappy with
  additional destruction. She's not overly happy with the dust, but she
  understands dust is a way of life in the construction business and
  well I tried taping the shop vac to the drill and that sort of
  worked. :) So, a little less dust. Well hey, any thoughts appreciated.