Great story,  I like it allot, when things work out like this..  Talk later.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dan Rossi
  To: Blind Handyman List
  Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:38 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Score one for D I Y

    Chalk up another point for a do it yourself repair.

  Saturday morning Teresa and I did our biweekly strip trip, where we go to
  an area of Pittsburgh called the strip district. This isn't the cheap,
  sleezy bar district, (we do that on alternate Friday nights), this is the
  area where all the ethnic food markets are. We have breakfast at an
  Italian cafe, shop in Italian, Greek, Indian, and Korean grocery stores,
  then have lunch at a Mexican taco stand.

  Anyway, we get home, drop off the groceries, and are preparing to head
  back out to pick up some more gravel at Lowes. I decide to grab a glass
  of water before leaving and go back into the kitchen. I notice a sound.
  A sound like running water. I step over to the basement door, dread
  filling my heart. I open the door and sure enough, I hear the washing
  machine filling. Normally, this wouldn't induce any kind of panic in me,
  however, I knew that Teresa had thrown a load of laundry in before we left
  the house at 9:00 and it was now after noon. The washer should not have
  still been running.

  I ran down the stairs and sure enough, the washer was over flowing and
  water was running down the floor to the drain. I pushed the knob in and
  out expecting the water to stop, thinking that maybe the timer thing had
  jammed. No dice. So I shut the water off at the inlet. I popped the top
  of the washer up and started feeling around inside to see what I could
  see. Just around the time that I thought I should unplug the washer, my
  hand came in contact with a lovely set of live wires. Lit me up pretty
  good too.

  Sooo, I unplugged the damn thing and began investigating some more. I
  eventually settled on the thought that the solenoid that controls the cold
  water had failed open. I removed the pack that contained the two
  solenoids and applied some percussive maintenance. I could blow air
  through the cold water valve but not the hot side. I tried to disassemble
  it, but the pack was pretty much sealed.

  Teresa got some parts numbers off of it, did some searching on line and
  ordered the $24 part with six bucks shipping. It arrived Tuesday evening
  and after a bit of screwing around because the mounting bracket was a bit
  different, and the stupid cheap, plastic threads on the hose connection
  kept cross threading, I finally got it put together and we ran a wash
  through and all was well.

  When we started, Teresa was convinced we were going to have to get a brand
  new washer. Thirty bucks later, we no longer needed a new washer. Well,
  we kind of do want a new one, but we don't have to run out in a panic and
  buy one without research or benefit of waiting for a sale.

  Score one for D I Y.

  --
  Blue skies.
  Dan Rossi