It's a long and somewhat dramatic story, but last week, we learned we have
been colonized by both brown bats (somewhere between six and 60 in number)
and gray squirrels.  The exterminator says this is rare BTW to have both
animals in the same place.

The first step was to set a body trap for the squirrel(s), but it hasn't
yielded any bodies for five days, so it's likely the colony or nesting site
has been abandoned, which means the  holes they chewed can be patch.  As an
aside, the exterminator says it's generally better if you kill the offending
squirrel(s) since they tend to come back to favorite places when they get
pregnant again.

This week, we're installing what are called bat valves where there's
evidence the bats are going in and out of the attic which permit them to go
out but not return.  After this, all holes down to 3/8 of an inch will be
filled in.

So, we have a lot of bats here, you can sometimes hear them at night, and
though I guess an occasional one contracts bat rabies, by an large they are
a beneficial animal in that they eat lots of insects including I'm told,
mosquitos.  Given this, my wife andI are thinkig  about putting up a bat
house, on the theory that if they hav a good place to hang out, they might
be less inclined to want to hang out in our chimney.

Anybody on this list have experience with this?

Am I thinking about this right?