Terry, I'd agree with you where music is concerned for the most part.
I don't know that the average person really understands all this and
I'm not an engineer, so I tend to follow my ears in all things.  As a
bassist, I am very aware of the sound and quite frankly for long wear
and good sound, I have yet to find a pair of headphones that are as
good as the Bose Tri Port model.  I literally wear headphones for
about 12 to 15 hours a day if not a little longer and these do not
annoy me or make my head feel tired or my ears for that matter.  Of
course I haven't tried every pair in the world, but my last pair which
I really loved broke and I really didn't think I'd like these Bose
headsets.  However, I've used them long enough now that I can't
imagine anything else at this point.  I do wish there was a good cord
that wouldn't get tangled over time etc.  Actually a wired wireless
pair would be great.  You know one that didn't need charging, but
didn't need a wire either. grin.