Can answer 1 for you.
yes, you can get wireless adaptors for a desktop. they come in 2
types. The PCI that goes in the computer on a open PCI slot, and the
USB type. Witch plugs into any USB post. you can get the USB in
speeds from 54mbs to 300 mbs and the higher the more cost.
As far as questions 2. haven't gotten to play with one yet. So can't help much.

At 11:41 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:

>So glad we're thoroughly doing this thread. I have questions.
>
>1. I have a router with wireless capability. However there are two
>computers in the house that do not have wireless cards. Can I buy one
>and install it?
>
>2. I have a signal booster that I bought because the way our house is
>configured, I have dead spots. This booster appears to just need to
>be plugged in to power and it is supposed to make the signal
>stronger, especially if you put it up near the ceiling where there
>are less obstructions. The details are not important, but I have some
>cabinets that do not go all the way to the ceiling between my office
>and the kitchen/living room. Has anyone used one of these boosters?
>Thanks,
>At 05:17 AM 9/2/2009, you wrote:
> >

> >I have a wireless unit and it gives all computers here an IP
> >address. If a computer is shut down and starts up a couple days
> >later, it will still use the same old IP it had before that was
> >assigned to it. Those IP's never change on my unit. If a new
> >computer is turned on it will be assigned a new IP that it will
> >keep. My wireless remembers computers that have not been online here
> >for months at a time that are owned by visitors and those IP's stay
> >in the old order of issue.

Tim
trouble
Verizon FIOS support tech