Roy,
sorry nothing to it.  If these are alcaline batteries, test them with a
battery tester or volt meter to see that they're really dead. If they
measure below 1.1 volts or so you're out of luck.

Alcalines can be stored in the refrigerator when new, in moisture tight
packages, this will enhance there shelf life a lot.  But once they're dead,
they're dead.

Sorry

Tom Fowle