From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Scott Howell
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:30 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] installing a new light switch in a bathroom

Folks, I'm actually moving a switch from behind the door of the
bathroom to just inside the door where it really should be. How anyone
could have done such a silly thing is beyond me. Ok, so forget all the
reasons, but I know why they installed it behind the door and it
really comes down to not having either planned well or something
prevented them from installing inside the door. Admittedly, it was
easy to install I'm sure cause you can get to the wiring etc. from
inside the utility room and they didn't even have to run through the
beams, they just went around them.
So, here is the issue and question. I made two small test holes and
found there appears to be a stud about 3 to 5 inches or so from the
door frame, which is kind of curious. I stuffed a coat hanger in there
and tried to fish around to get some idea of space, but I swear I'm
hitting more than a stud but short of cutting the wall open, I have no
idea what the hell is in there and that may be just what I do. So,
lets say for the sake of argument that I can't get a single gang box
in there, how far from the edge of the doorframe can you place a
switch? The question is twofold in that of course I need to check
local code assuming there is one, but also I wouldn't want it to look
funny either. Of course I could just leave well enough alone and the
switches stay behind the door. Actually, what I have behind the door
is the switches for the light and fan, a non-GFI outlet in a
completely separate box, and finally a junction box with a blank plate
that houses the amazing mess of wires that makes the whole thing work.
Just to show how weird the whole thing is, I got someone to help
install a three-way switch arrangement in the full-bath upstairs
because the fan and light switches were not inside the door as you'd
thing, but the builder put the switches on the wall the door opens
against, which also has a door into the master bedroom. Any thoughts
are appreciated.
I guess I could always move. :) Well not yet, I think I'll have the
next one built. :)