  From: Dan Rossi
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, September 14, 2009 11:05 AM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] spray insilation question.

    I am planning on having cellulose blown in sometime in the near future.
  They said they can use a 3/4 inch nozzle since they will have to drill
  through the mortar joints they want to use as small a nozzle as possible.
  Not only do they have to drill through the mortar joints, but then they
  have to drill through the wood cladding beyond the airgap behind the
  brick to get to the voids between the studs.

  I may hold off on having the attic done until I do some rewiring first.
  I'd rather not have to dig through 12 inches of cellulose to get to all the
  fixtures.

  Here is a vague plan, and a couple of questions. My house is balloon
  construction, so the joist bays run from the attic straight down to the
  basement. I've already pulled one set of wires from the second floor
  through to the basement. Anyway, I was thinking of trying to find some 3
  inch flexible tubing, similar to the 4 inch flexible pipe I used for
  drainage around the basement door well. I would run this flexible tubing
  down from the attic to the basement in one or two places before having
  the insulation blown in, that way I would have a wire chase in place for
  future wiring projects. Does this kind of flexible tubing exist? Is
  there a reason why I wouldn't want to do this?

  Secondly, what is the code for running wiring through attics with blown
  in insulation? It seems like it would be a total pain in the ass to just
  bury the wiring under the insulation. Can you staple the wiring to the
  sloping rafters and then drop straight down from the rafter to the fixture
  in the ceiling below? It would make it quite obvious where the fixtures
  are, and you could easily see the wiring, but there would be these
  vertical wires scattered around your attic. Is that cosher?

  --
  Blue skies.
  Dan Rossi