Hi Betsy,
My brother has a couple of what I believe you're talking about.
On the "hinge' side, there is a vertical box maybe 3 inches square into which
the screen rolls up.  the non-hinge side of the screen has a frame with handle,
but
there is no frame top or bottom of the screen.  You grab the handle and
pull the rolled screen unrolling it across the door space.
the ones I've seen have magnetic catches so you have to properly mesh the
moving frame with the mounted frame.  If you don't get the magnetic catch
properly caught then let go, "WHAP" the thing rolls back up on you

It is also quite easy to bump the screen or frame and make the magnetic catch
let go, surprising your self with the noise.

My brother's dog, who is pretty much not afraid of anything, is scared stiff
of this thing.  She has bumpped it several times with her nose and had it
whap away from in front  of her.

Now she will sit by it when she wants to go out and wait for a human to release
it carefully.  I suppose some very smart large dogs could be taught
to roll one closed but I doubt it's likely.

Also not good for kids who would never take the trouble to
pull it closed and latch it after them, nor for anybody carrying anything
in both hands.

Only advantage is it does not require swing room to open.

Looks like a cute idea but not being able to "self close" would be a deal
breaker for me.

tom Fowle