Nancy,
Dale has it correct, but I might add that some newer faucets have
built-in "tails" tubes that have compression fittings allready on them all
ready for the threaded fittings on shut off valves. that saves attaching
fittings
way up in back of the sink which can be  a pain.

sometimes removing the old faucet is harder than installing the new one,
you may need a so-called basin wrench if there are large nuts
way up under there that hold the faucet to the sink.  Most
hardware stores will lend or rent you a basin wrench for not much.

The basin wrench is hard to discribe but is used where you need to work a big
nut where there is no room for a wrench.

When you choose your new faucet, be sure to find whether it requires plumber's
putty between the faucet and the sink. some do and some don't

We recently replaced our bathroom sink faucet with a really nice Price-Fister
unit that is very easy to operate with just a couple fingers.  It did need
silicon seal between the faucet and the fake marble sink, but any competant
sightling should have no problem with that.

The manufacturers are really trying hard to make new faucets easy to install,
and sometimes it even works.

Tom Fowle

that needs a large area to work in.