OK Tom,

Why don't we attack this problem?

Is the sprocket method really the most reliable means of indexing a digital
tape measure? How about a LED and photo sensor, count the flashes.

Now there must be a number of talking chips particularly with limited
vocabulary. I have a very old Sharp calculator which has a wonderful voice and
when it gets weak or under some other conditions it speaks all sorts of things
the calculator never says including some interesting musical sounds. It has to
be over 25 years old. Anyway, do we have any idea how much that sort of
technology would cost in lots of say a hundred?

I would bet there are digital tape measures out there who's manufacturer would
sell us their components at reasonable price if for no other reason just the
possible public relations value.

There has to be a way of building talking tape measures more robustly than we
presently have.

Similarly, versatile audible levels. I was watching a chap on television
yesterday. He was developing a scale model of a personal flying vehicle with
something close to vertical take off and land. This is apparently a huge
control issue however his solution was twin propellers mounted to be able to
swing out toward the ends of the wings using the gyro effect to bring the nose
up or down. For control he had some sort of sensor which adjusted the speed of
each propeller according to the horizontal position of the wing. It was cool
watching him hold the plane and swing it to one side or the other and hear the
motors immediately change pitch. Presumably a similar sensing device could be
easily integrated into a leveling measure.

Do you think it would be practical to develop reliable equipment with
off-the-shelf technology at reasonable cost? I understand that production
quantities would present other cost considerations but there may be
alternatives there too if one doesn't need to make a living from it.