Claudia,

Since I have both a Nano and an iPhone, which is essentially an iPod Touch, let
me explain for you. First a Nano is very simple in it's operation. You have a
wheel that you move through the menus including music genres, artists, etc.
There are a few items that as far as I know still do not speak and that is
items like the clock, contacts, and a few other items. THe iPod Touch (you must
purchase the 16Gb or greater models for speech) contain VoiceOver, which is the
same screen reader on the Macintosh computer and iPHone. This enables a greater
range of functionality such as e-mail, web surfing, purchasing content such as
music, audio books, applications etc. from the unit itself. All menus and stock
applications are accessible and so are a wide range of applications. The
interface of the iPod Touch as with the iPHone is a completely touch
screen-based interface and there is a learning curve, but it is not impossible
to learn to use the device. In short, you use your fingers to navigate and tap
on the items of interest and even text entry is very easy once you have had an
opportunity to learn. It really will come down to what you are looking for in a
device. If you want something that is very simple, provides the ability to play
content only, a Nano will meet your needs. However, if you are looking for a
device that provides greater access to a wide range of content such as
streaming audio, allowing you to surf the web, play some games, and so forth,
an iPod Touch will be the device of choice.
As far as getting content on the devices, iTunes is the only way. I know this
is an issue for some people, but I see no disadvantage in using iTUnes as it
provides a pretty powerful way to manage content such as providing you the
ability to create and manage playlists based on a wide range of criteria,
central way of managing the content, and etc.
I am a Mac user so my experience with iTunes is different than on the PC, but
there are a number of people using iTunes on the PC successfully. The nice part
about iTunes is you can keep your content on the external drive and configure
iTunes to access the content from that drive and that drive only.
Here is a URL you can look at that provides some information on the gestures
used with the iPhone, which are basically the same gestures for the iPod Touch
with the exception of those used for answering/ending calls etc.
http://help.apple.com/iphone/3/voiceover/en/iphddd0db38.html

I hope this helps and feel free to contact me with other questions.

On Dec 4, 2009, at 3:35 AM, Claudia wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am really considering an Ipod, but I truly don't even know where to begin.
> What is the difference between the Ipod Touch & the Ipod Nano?
>
> Is it difficult to use Itunes to load your music, onto the unit?
> Can you load existing music from your computer's hardrive or an external
> unit, onto the Ipod, without having to use Itunes?
>
> I have my entire CD collection on an external hardrive, but will I need to
> load it all into Itunes, in order for it to work?
> Thanks.
>
> Claudia
> MSN: cdelreal1...@sbcglobal.net
>
> Skype: claudiadr2009
>
> Join either of my groups; the first is for visually-impaired women, while
> the other is for people wishing to discuss homemaking issues.
> our-safe-haven-subscr...@googlegroups.com
> makinghouseworkeasier-subscr...@googlegroups.com

blindhandyman-ow...@yahoogroups.com
http://www.acbradio.org/pweb/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=33&MMN_position=47:29
Or

http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/

If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following address
for more information:
http://www.jaws-users.com/