  From: Alan & Terrie Robbins
  To: Blindhandyman
  Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 10:09 AM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Shut off valve

  Just called my local hardware store as I need to pick up a
  shut off valve to go in half inch copper line. I believe
  what I want is referred to as a gate valve (inside totally
  retracts to give full unrestricted flow) correct? I asked if
  they had these so I could use the shark bite fittings. They
  said they had Pex and it was the same. Since I've read about
  both but never used either are these the same or
  interchangeable? Is there a special tool I'll need to have
  on hand to remove should I want to? Last question: Do you
  feel the shark bite or Pex are as reliable as compression
  fittings?

  thanks
  Al