  From: Bob Kennedy
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 10:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Tacumseh engine carbeurator question

  It's called a needle. It closes fuel off by the float pushing it into a seat.
Thus the name I'm sure you've heard together, needle and seat. You'll have to
buy them as a pair.

  The spring can drive you crazy. But before that happens, know it will work
well without the hassle of the spring clip.

  What you will want to do when you get a new one is to install the seat, on
that engine it should be a round O ring looking piece kind of squared off at
the shoulders. You can install it by setting it in the opening, and use either
a round punch, or the shank end of a drill bit to push it in place. Try not to
use a hammer to set it, there is a small shoulder in the opening and you can
push right past it using a hammer.

  Next, set the needle in the new seat and then run the pin through the back of
the float.

  When that is done, feel across what will now be the bottom edge, normally the
top edge of the float. Make sure that edge is parallel to the body of the carb.
If it sits "low" pointed toward the float bowl, or up at you in this case, it
can starve the engine. If it sits high, pointed toward the body of the carb, it
can flood.

  That's all there is to it. While you have it apart, spray some carburetor
cleaner in the area to wash out any dirt or garbage that has found it's way in.

  You may also consider replacing any of the quarter inch fuel line. Often
times as they get older the insides will break down and bits of the line can
lodge in the seat area causing it to flood.

  Let me know if this doesn't work.