Lenny is quite correct, but keep in mind that those "Release Slots" require
a relatively fine instrument to engage them.

As for using the 3-Pole switch for a single circuit, certainly  you can use
such a switch in that application but as stated by an earlier reply you need
to make certain you use the neutral terminal and not both "hot terminals."
If you fail to use the neutral terminal that won't cause any danger, it just
simply will not turn your lights on because the circuit will always be open
(not complete).

Also, the 3-Pole switch is somewhat more costly than a single pole switch.
Now, that added cost is probably negligible considering the potential
expense of going back to the hardware store - that's entirely your call.  I
know that whenever I would go back to the hardware store to save a buck or
two I'd always manage to buy something else I really didn't need.   ;-)
----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: billgal...@centurytel.net
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!