Phil,
This is fine assuming you always put the device in question
in series with the speaker, in other words break one line of the
speaker connection and hood any 2 terminals on the unknown to the two
wires you just "broke"
Putting an unknown device across the 2 speaker connections of some
vintage solid state amps could cause problems.

Modern audio amps do not have transformers between the active electronics and
the speaker, most have capacitors but not sure all do, so shorting
an output might not be a good plan.
But particularly for things like switches intended for basic electrical
service, not dimmers etc. this could be  a simple way of
finding out what you have with commonly available gear.

Neat idea.

Tom Fowle