I don't know if there is an exact standard for when to use tape and when it's
too large an opening for tape alone.

I don't like to go much more than two inches with tape alone.  Once a hole is
larger than that, I will use another piece of drywall to fill the hole first.
In order to use drywall, you first have to span the hole with a board from the
back side.  Otherwise, the piece will just fall behind the wall.  If the hole
is real large, you may need to use more than one backer board to make a strong
repair.

Cut a length of board a few inches longer than the opening.  Drive a screw into
the center of the board to use as a handle.

Now tilt the board until both ends are behind the sheetrock.  This is where you
prove your skill.  While holding the screw in the center, you will need to
drive a screw through the sheetrock and into the board.  Once the board is
pulled tight to the back side of the sheetrock, you can remove the screw in the
center.  Now you can cut a piece of spare sheetrock to fit in the opening and
also screw it to the backer board.  Cover the area with tape and now apply the
joint compound.

While it is so tempting to use your fingers, you have found out why it isn't
such a good idea.  In time you will learn to listen to the sound the trowel
makes as you spread the compound.  It will almost be a hissing sound when the
angle is right.

I haven't been following the threads as close so in case no one has said it
yet; apply with a smaller putty knife or trowel, then spread it out with a
wider one.  I use a 12 inch wide trowel to feather the edges of the compound.
And as hard as it is, once you have done the feathering in, just get away from
it and let it dry.  Each time you touch it, you make another repair for
yourself.