On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 9:29 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

> A few questions raised at the API OWNERS meeting today.
>
> On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 1:34:11 PM UTC+2 Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 1:10 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What would breakage look like?
>>>

>> Once the feature is gone (the end state), anyone attempting to set up a
>> connection using SDES will have their session rejected.
>> Anyone attempting to set the constraint will just have it ignored, like
>> any other unsupported value in a dictionary.
>>

> OK. Any enterprise risk here? Are you aware of any enterprise apps using
> this?

I doubt it. There is no real reason for using it; DTLS is safer and simpler
to configure.

>> I'm thinking that we should add an intermediate step where anyone
>> attempting to configure SDES has the constructor throw rather than ignoring
>> the member.
>>

> An unhandled exception seems more risky than a silent failure here, right?
> Any reason to think console warnings won't be enough?

The connection won't go through anyway unless both ends of the connection
upgrade at the same time; throwing is a failure that is more obvious.
When things fail, I like to have them fail for obvious reasons.

>>> What's the requested timeline for the deprecation part of this?
>>>

>> I'd like to get the deprecation warning in 95 (stable Oct 19), start
>> throwing in 97 (stable Jan 4), and removing the code entirely in 99 (stable
>> Mar 1).
>>

>>> Any plans for targeted outreach for the remaining users?
>>>

>> Only the usual PSA on webrtc-users and discuss-webrtc + word of mouth.

>>> Impressive decline in usage!

>>> Filing for signals may be an overkill here, but are there bugs filed on
>>> other implementers asking them to follow?
>>>

> Is SDES shipped in other browsers? What's the status there?

I believe that neither Firefox nor WebKit ever shipped SDES, but I put "no
signal" because I haven't checked.