**

       *Contact emails*

*

miketa...@chromium.org, abe...@chromium.org, jadekess...@chromium.org

       Explainer

https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints#explainer-reducing-user-agent-granularity <https://github.com/WICG/ua-client-hints#explainer-reducing-user-agent-granularity>

       Specification

https://www.chromium.org/updates/ua-reduction <https://www.chromium.org/updates/ua-reduction>is the closest thing that specifies Chrome’s UA Reduction plans today. As these changes land in Chromium, the Compat Standard <https://compat.spec.whatwg.org/>will be updated to reflect them (in the newly landed UA String section <https://compat.spec.whatwg.org/#ua-string-section>).

       Summary

As previously detailed on the Chromium Blog <https://blog.chromium.org/2021/09/user-agent-reduction-origin-trial-and-dates.html>, we intend to proceed with Phase 4 of the User-Agent Reduction plan.

In Phase 4, the MINOR.BUILD.PATCH version numbers are reduced to "0.0.0". For use cases requiring high-entropy full version information, developers are encouraged to migrate to the User Agent Client Hints API <https://web.dev/migrate-to-ua-ch/>, in particular the Sec-CH-UA-Full-Version-List <https://wicg.github.io/ua-client-hints/#sec-ch-ua-full-version-list>hint.

       Blink component

Blink <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink>

       TAG review

https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/640 <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/640>

       TAG review status

Issues addressed

       Risks

       Interoperability and Compatibility

Any time you modify the User-Agent string there is a risk of some content somewhere depending on the previous format.

There should not be interop risks, as each browser sends its own User-Agent string. But there is a risk that content somewhere is relying on “non-zero” MINOR, BUILD, or PATCH information. My personal view is that the risk is low compared to the rest of the changes to come in later phases. But in order to mitigate the risk of this change, we intend to slowly roll it out via Finch and observe health metrics (i.e., HTTP 4XX and 5XX error codes, etc.) and bug reports from the community.

We've surveyed dozens of User-Agent parsing libraries, and as far as we know "0.0.0" will not create a problem syntactically. But the web can get pretty weird in ways we don't anticipate, hence the slow roll-out and incremental path towards User-Agent Reduction.

Gecko: Shipped/Shipping. Firefox has frozen (or capped) much of their UA string already.

WebKit: Shipped/Shipping. Safari has already frozen everything in their UA string except for version number info.

Web developers: Mixed signals. Reactions have ranged from positive to indifferent to negative, from various channels.

       Debuggability

No special DevTools support needed.

       Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

No

       Flag name

reduce-user-agent

       Requires code in //chrome?

False

       Tracking bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1282229 <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1282229>

       Launch bug

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1282238 <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1282238>

       Estimated milestones

We aim to start rollout in M101. We will update this thread once the feature is shipping to 100% of the stable population.

https://chromestatus.com/feature/6311349754789888 <https://chromestatus.com/feature/6311349754789888>

*