On 02/02/2022 16:51, Rouslan Solomakhin wrote:
>> Rouslan, it looks to me like the API is designed to support multiple
> stores, right?
>> For example if Samsung decided that they wanted to support connecting
> it up to
>> both the Android Play Billing API (so SBrowser could provide
> equivalent user
>> experience to Chrome) AND to the Samsung store (so merchants could have
>> a choice in stores, perhaps competing on terms like commission rate) they
>> could do that with the current API shape, right?
>
> That is correct. The API shape has been generalized enough to be
> store-agnostic and browser-agnostic. We have
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X2j1wKC2T4RONcUGYxGus8Dytv6s2_tVTUSkWDWPza4/edit#heading=h.chc35okxwb9>
> been <https://www.w3.org/2021/10/28-wpwg-minutes.html#t04> pitching the
> API to other stores and browsers as well.

It'd be really nice to get some engagement from other browsers or
stores. There are lots of stores, and also several browsers based on
Chromium. Have we talked to them? Is anyone interested in adding support
for this?

There are also mentions to v2.0 and v2.1. Which one would be shipping?
Are you expecting more changes on the API in the short term? It might be
hard to implement those changes once it's shipped.

On the TPAC presentation there was this plan:
* Collect feedback from the origin trial.
* Publish draft spec in WICG.
* Iterate with more developer feedback.
* Collaborate with other user agents and app stores.
* Ship it.

It looks like the spec PR hasn't been merged yet
(https://github.com/WICG/digital-goods/pull/40), and I'd love to
understand better the efforts to convince other browsers and stores
about the benefits of this API.

> On Wed, Feb 2, 2022 at 10:31 AM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org
> <mailto:rby...@chromium.org>> wrote:
>
>     +1 to Yoav's perspective here. Our job is not to force
>     interoperability but to create the conditions to make future
>     interoperability as easy as possible. We have multiple examples of
>     APIs where originally Chrome was the only interested browser, but
>     once sites started to adopt them and demonstrate the value, other
>     browsers decided they wanted to provide their users with that value
>     too. I would hate to create a condition where, for example, Brave,
>     Edge or Samsung browser felt compelled to support an API with
>     'Chrome' in it's name once there was clear user value to supporting
>     the use case. Further, if we put Chrome in the name that could be
>     perceived as indicating that we were actively trying to create such
>     browser lock-in or otherwise create conditions for Chrome to have an
>     unfair advantage over other browsers when nothing could be further
>     from the truth.
>
>     Rouslan, it looks to me like the API is designed to support multiple
>     stores, right? For example if Samsung decided that they wanted to
>     support connecting it up to both the Android Play Billing API (so
>     SBrowser could provide equivalent user experience to Chrome) AND to
>     the Samsung store (so merchants could have a choice in stores,
>     perhaps competing on terms like commission rate) they could do that
>     with the current API shape, right?
>
>     We've fought hard to get away from the webkit-prefixed and "chrome
>     apps" world and we know it's not possible to know up front that an
>     API will never have interoperable implementations. I think the
>     downside of potentially using up a small piece of the global API
>     namespace for an API that fails to achieve interoperability is much
>     smaller than the downside of disincentivizing other implementations
>     or burning a Chrome/Play API name into the web for what may become
>     more general.

I agree this is something we want to avoid. And I understand what Yoav
and your are explaining. It makes sense to create standard APIs not
attached to a single browser, so in the future they can be adopted by
others.

I just want to have a better picture of what we're doing to convince
others to adopt this.

>     At the same time, the TAG has been clear that their time is best
>     spent on the APIs that are most likely to become interoperable
>     standards. Dan told me at one point that it might be best if we
>     didn't even both asking for TAG review that didn't have engagement
>     from a 2nd browser., so I don't think we should expect them to have
>     any real interest in reviewing this API. They've already marked this
>     review as closed, so I don't think we should expect a response.

TAG was closed with that feedback in July:

A week ago there was a comment that this was going to ship without
following that feedback, and the TAG reopened the issue. That's what I
was suggesting to give them some time to reply.

>     Rego, what do you think? I'll give my LGTM3 but also happy to keep
>     discussing the tradeoffs here. I really appreciate having the
>     non-google API owners perspective here, it's always possible that us
>     Googlers have some unconscious bias influencing our thinking.

I believe I agree with your POV here. After looking deeper into this, my
concerns now are mostly related to find other browsers or stores
interested. Once we get more people involved, there'll be probably
changes on the API and so on.

Cheers,
  Rego