The goal is to use wptrunner to run wpt tests. rwt will still be used to
run legacy tests. Do you imply you prefer to use rwt for both wpt tests and
legacy tests? I would love to hear your reasoning about that.

There are several business motivations behind that. To be able to run tests
on Android/iOS and reduce costs to developers are two of those.