>>  You could have used a service worker and cache things in order to get
the same thing, combined with progressive web applications for
installability.

This is true, but I think ergonomics of an encapsulated page/application
make it easier to reason about for very large applications. Maintaining the
service worker and the cache at scale can become a barrier to entry for
some developers and applications.