Well below our customary threshold level, and unlikely to be used in our blind spots (WebView, enterprise). I think it's safe to remove directly.

LGTM1

/Daniel

On 2022-06-02 19:40, Mike Taylor wrote:

**

        *Contact emails*

*

miketa...@chromium.org, m...@chromium.org

        Summary

We propose to remove support for navigating to filesystem:// URLs in iframes.

        Blink component

Blink>Storage>FileSystem <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EStorage%3EFileSystem>

        Motivation

Render-initiated navigations to filesystem:// URLs are blocked in top-level frames, but are currently allowed in iframes. As part of the storage partitioning efforts, we propose to remove support for navigation to filesystem:// URLs in iframes. Preventing navigation in third-party contexts would be sufficient for our privacy goals, but as usage is almost non-existent, we believe removing support for navigation in iframes altogether is the better approach.

(https://miketaylr.com/misc/filesystem-navigation.html <https://miketaylr.com/misc/filesystem-navigation.html>may be useful to grok what any of this means.)

        TAG review

N/A. This intent refers to a Chromium-only feature (which we’re trying to remove).

        Risks

        Interoperability and Compatibility

No other engine supports filesystem:// URLs, so we do not expect interoperability issues.

As for compatibility, usage is very, very low. Currently just above 0.0000008% <https://chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/4077>. For this reason we would like to just remove it, without any deprecation period.

Gecko: N/A (not supported)

WebKit: N/A (not supported)

Web developers: No signals

Other signals:

        WebView application risks

No.

        Debuggability

We currently send an error message to the console if you try to open a window to a filesystem:// URL - we will do something similar for iframes.

        Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

No

        Flag name

FileSystemUrlNavigation

        Requires code in //chrome?

False

        Estimated milestones

M105

https://chromestatus.com/feature/5816343679991808 <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5816343679991808>

This intent message was generated by Chrome Platform Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.

*
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/84b7af7f-66fb-4874-0290-f0b22f51cb52%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/84b7af7f-66fb-4874-0290-f0b22f51cb52%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.