FWIW, that is more or less how in chrome's tree we already automate some of
these "manual" WPT tests. Chrome has two private test APIs, one to set
whatever path file/directory pickers should return, and one to get a path
to a temporary (writable) directory. That doesn't really help for testing
most of the options passed to the various picker methods since their effect
generally isn't visible to the web (most options just change what the UI
looks like/behaves like), although for this particular one I suppose there
at least some web-visible/testable effects.

https://github.com/web-platform-tests/wpt/issues/8114 is at least
tangentially related to the missing WP functionality