One comment about this feature and legacy layout.

It seems ::highlight customization is only supported in LayoutNG for
most properties (only background-color works in legacy).

I'm wondering if we should add some kind of console warning message,
like for Container Queries [*], so if people see some differences in
some cases they can know the reason why.

Another thing that I noticed is that highlight pseudos are not being
printed, I guess that was on purpose for things like ::selection or
::target-text, but should we allow printing ::highlight? Should we open
a spec issue about that so it's properly defined (I didn't find anything
on the specs regarding printing)?

I don't mean this is a blocker for shipping, but if this is not properly
defined, maybe it's time to clarify things regarding printing.

Cheers,
  Rego

[*] https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/3706582