We discussed this at today's API OWNERs meeting and, while I realise I
should perhaps be directing most of these comments at the CSS WG more
broadly, I'm concerned that the bundle of features that this function is
designed to support are not clearly articulated, which argues for an
explainer and perhaps a TAG review.

Specifically:

   - What problems do the "variations", "palettes", and "incremental"
   values address? There should be clear enunciation of those issues in an
   explainer, a discussion of considered alternatives, and example code
   describing how this specfic design best meets those needs.
   - Related, why is "tech()" overloaded for whatever those values do as
   well as explict named technologies and sub-features?
   - Since we're going first, and the only group that seems to have looked
   at this is the CSS WG, shouldn't there be a TAG review?

The CSS WG continues to work outside of our incubation and explainer-based
model for feature development, and as a general matter it's not OK.

I realise this feature is hostage to a bad work mode and it isn't the
developer's of this syntax's fault, but we need to break the cycle.

Future CSS features that do not incubate, center developer feedback
(perhaps through OT), and show signs of incubation may also invoke delays
from me.

Regards,

Alex