> How do we expect developers to use the feature before it is ubiquitously
available?
> Do we expect them to perform feature detection and compensate for it in
JS? Something else? What would that look like?

This and the other popover/dialog inspired animation features are a
progressive enhancement. They are hard to polyfill and we don't expect
developers to feature detect and compensate. If they choose to use these
features before they are implemented in other browsers, then the animations
won't happen but popovers and dialogs (the intended use cases) will still
work.