> Also, how would users signal their preference?

There are currently three platforms that implement an explicit setting for
this preference.

   - In Windows 10/11: Settings > Accessibility > Visual effects >
   Transparency effects.
   - In macOS: System Preferences > Accessibility > Display > Reduce
   transparency.
   - In iOS: Settings > Accessibility > Display & Text Size > Reduce
   Transparency.

I don't have access to Chrome OS and as such can't be sure on if there's a
setting for this but based on the fact Android doesn't have one and I
couldn't find documentation I've assumed there isn't.

Currently the implementation is written to follow the Windows and macOS
setting, and iOS can be added trivially in future once the blink
development is further along on iOS. On platforms with no explicit setting
users currently cannot indicate their preference. However, I would like to
see browser level control of this (and other preference media queries) in
future.