LGTM1 to deprecate and remove. RIP Theora, we hardly knew ye.

On 10/24/23 1:01 PM, Dale Curtis wrote:
On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 4:49 AM Mike Taylor <miketa...@chromium.org> wrote:

    On 10/23/23 1:13 PM, Dale Curtis wrote:

    On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 10:02 AM Mike Taylor
    <miketa...@chromium.org> wrote:

        On 10/23/23 11:54 AM, Dale Curtis wrote:

        Hmm, not sure why the description got reflowed, here's the
        formatted version:

        Chrome will deprecate and remove support for the Theora
        video codec in desktop Chrome due to emerging security
        risks. Theora's low (and now often incorrect) usage no
        longer justifies support for most users.

        Notes:
        - Zero day attacks against media codecs have spiked.
        - Usage has fallen below measurable levels in UKM.
        - The sites we manually inspected before levels dropped off
        were incorrectly preferring Theora over more modern codecs
        like VP9.
        Meaning, once Theora support is gone, video playback
        continues to work for all sites you inspected because media
        source selection found something else playable?

    Correct, if Theora support was missing users would have a higher
    quality experience due to a more modern codec being selected.

        - It's never been supported by Safari or Chrome on Android.
        - An ogv.js polyfill exists for the sites that still need
        Theora support.
        - We are not removing support for ogg containers.

        Our plan is to begin escalating experiments turning down
        Theora support in M120. During this time users can
        reactivate Theora support via
        chrome://flags/#theora-video-codec if needed.

        The tentative timeline for this is (assuming everything goes
        smoothly):
        - ~Oct 23, 2023: begin 50/50 canary dev experiments.
        - ~Nov 1-6, 2023: begin 50/50 beta experiments.
        - ~Dec 6, 2023: begin 1% stable experiments.
        Even though UKM appears to be exceedingly low, if you're not
        100% confident this will be a no-op, you might consider
        beginning the stable experiment after the new year (and many
        production freezes).

    I did consider this and ran this plan by Finch team ahead of
    time, however given the low usage, long dev/beta experiments,
    that these sites would already be broken on Android/Safari, and
    that we'd still have time to turn down the 1% stable experiment
    before Finch freeze, leaving at 1% until after holiday freezes
    should be safe.

    OK, that sounds reasonable. Can you also request the rest of the
    review bits in the chromestatus entry?

Done, thanks I thought that was automatic these days.