On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 8:58 AM Rick Byers <rby...@chromium.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2023 at 4:49 AM 'Christopher Cameron' via blink-dev <
> blink-dev@chromium.org> wrote:
>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 4:24 PM Yoav Weiss <yoavwe...@chromium.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks! This seems like an important problem to solve..
>>>
>>> On Monday, November 27, 2023 at 10:20:37 PM UTC+1 Christopher Cameron
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Contact emailsccame...@chromium.org
>>>
>>> ExplainerNone
>>>

>>> A short (inline?) explainer can help reviewers assess what this looks
>>> like and how developers may use it.
>>>
>>> As is, it's not clear what the API surface for this is.
>>>

>> Sure! This adds one new call to the WebGLRenderingContextBase interface
>> (the base interface for WebGL and WebGL2). That call is
>>
>>   void drawingBufferStorage(GLenum sizedformat, GLsizei width, GLsizei
>> height);
>>
>> This allows the user to change the pixel format (along with the width and
>> height) of the drawing buffer. This is similar to the existing
>> renderbufferStorage
>> <https://source.chromium.org/chromium/chromium/src/+/main:third_party/blink/renderer/modules/webgl/webgl_rendering_context_base.idl;l=601;drc=76de6c12e41b99030fd5413c6f46dabd68862c45>
>> function, which can be used to change these properties of an explicitly
>> allocated offscreen buffer.
>>

>>> Specificationhttps://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/3222
>>>

>>> What's preventing the PR from landing?
>>>

>> +Ken Russell <k...@google.com> to verify: My understanding is that the PR
>> is to land after there exists an implementation shipping this.
>>

> Great! If an editor can confirm on the PR that it's blocked only on
> implementation support, then I'm happy approving this intent. Normally
> things go in the other order, but I don't actually care which happens
> first. We just want confirmation that the spec work has been completed to
> an appropriate quality level to enable future interoperability.

Actually I think the PR https://github.com/KhronosGroup/WebGL/pull/3222 has
been a bit stalled. I'm not one of the WebGL spec editors but have emailed
Khronos' internal mailing list asking the rest of the working group whether
we can clean up / land that PR. It does seem to me that we should land the
spec PR first, but Chris, feel free to ask on the PR as well.

Thanks,

-Ken