On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 4:27 AM Noam Rosenthal <nrosent...@chromium.org>
wrote:

> Contact emailsjap...@chromium.org, nrosent...@chromium.org
>
> Explainer
> https://github.com/WICG/view-transitions/blob/main/navigation-activation-explainer.md
>
> Specification
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/nav-history-apis.html#navigation-activation-interface
>
> Summary
>
> navigation.activation stores state about when the current Document was
> activated (e.g., when it was initialized, or restored from the back/forward
> cache).
>

> Blink componentBlink>History
> <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EHistory>
>
> TAG reviewhttps://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/921
>
> TAG review statusIssues addressed
>
> Risks
>

> Interoperability and Compatibility
>
> None
>

> *Gecko*: Positive (
> https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/928)
>
> *WebKit*: No signal (
> https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/282)
>
> *Web developers*: Positive
>
> *Other signals*:
>
> Security
>
> This is a cross-document (navigation) feature, so designing it we needed
> to take care of cross-origin navigation related risks. Since
> `navigation.activation` is part of the navigation API, it uses the same
> semantics and protections. We only expose things that are otherwise exposed
> by the navigation API or in other means.
>

> WebView application risks
>
> Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
> it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?
>
> None
>

> Debuggability
>
> None
>

> Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
> Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes
>
> Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
> <https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
> ?Yes
>

> https://wpt.fyi/results/navigation-api/navigation-activation?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=navigation%20activation
>

> Flag name on chrome://flagsNavigationActivation
>
> Finch feature nameNone
>
> Non-finch justification
>
> It's a web-API, exposing it gradually doesn't make sense.

I'm always unsure about this, but I believe "Finch feature name" is the
flag you'd put in runtime_enabled_features.json5. It can be used by Finch
as a kill-switch in case the feature causes some regression in the wild.
For this feature, the chrome:://flags flag isn't there though (correct me
if I'm wrong)