On Friday, January 26, 2024 at 5:15:28 PM UTC Vladimir Levin wrote:

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024 at 4:27 AM Noam Rosenthal <nrose...@chromium.org>
wrote:

Contact emailsjap...@chromium.org, nrose...@chromium.org

Explainer
https://github.com/WICG/view-transitions/blob/main/navigation-activation-explainer.md

Specification
https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/nav-history-apis.html#navigation-activation-interface

Summary

navigation.activation stores state about when the current Document was
activated (e.g., when it was initialized, or restored from the back/forward
cache).

Blink componentBlink>History
<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EHistory>

TAG reviewhttps://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/921

TAG review statusIssues addressed

Risks

Interoperability and Compatibility

None

*Gecko*: Positive (https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/928
)

*WebKit*: No signal (
https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/282)

*Web developers*: Positive

*Other signals*:

Security

This is a cross-document (navigation) feature, so designing it we needed to
take care of cross-origin navigation related risks. Since
`navigation.activation` is part of the navigation API, it uses the same
semantics and protections. We only expose things that are otherwise exposed
by the navigation API or in other means.

WebView application risks

Does this intent deprecate or change behavior of existing APIs, such that
it has potentially high risk for Android WebView-based applications?

None

Debuggability

None

Will this feature be supported on all six Blink platforms (Windows, Mac,
Linux, ChromeOS, Android, and Android WebView)?Yes

Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>
?Yes

https://wpt.fyi/results/navigation-api/navigation-activation?label=master&label=experimental&aligned&q=navigation%20activation

Flag name on chrome://flagsNavigationActivation

Finch feature nameNone

Non-finch justification

It's a web-API, exposing it gradually doesn't make sense.

I'm always unsure about this, but I believe "Finch feature name" is the
flag you'd put in runtime_enabled_features.json5. It can be used by Finch
as a kill-switch in case the feature causes some regression in the wild.
For this feature, the chrome:://flags flag isn't there though (correct me
if I'm wrong)

According to these guidelines:
https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/third_party/blink/renderer/platform/RuntimeEnabledFeatures.md#guidelines-for-setting-feature-status
Finch + base:: features are used only for things that can cause compat
issues, not so much for new web APIs.
I was following this guideline, if something else is required here I'd be
happy to follow up.