On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 8:48 PM Paul Jensen <pauljen...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Contact emails
>
> pauljen...@chromium.org
>

> Explainer
>
> Split up large trusted signals fetches:
> https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1070
>
> deprectedReplaceInURN via auction config:
> https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1069
>

> Specification
>
> Split up large trusted signals fetches:
> https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1065
>
> deprectedReplaceInURN via auction config:
> https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1051
>

> Summary
>
> These are the changes to Protected Audience that we’d like to ship:
>
> Split up large trusted signals fetches:
>
> During Protected Audience auctions the browser fetches real-time signals
> from buyers' and sellers' key-value servers. These fetches are currently
> HTTP GET requests with URLs that the browser assembles by concatenating
> several individual requests together. The URLs can grow larger than some
> HTTP servers support resulting in failing requests and reduced website ad
> revenue. The proposal here is for buyers and sellers to specify the maximum
> size of these URLs and for the browser to split large requests into chunks
> no larger than the specified maximum size.

If I understand correctly what y'all are trying to do here, you're trying
to effectively recreate with GETs what should've been a POST.
Is the reasoning for that outlined somewhere?

POSTs have many advantages over GETs when transferring large amounts of
data to the server. Most importantly, they tend to actually pass through.
Beyond that, the data is not typically saved to logs (whereas URLs often
are). Finally, in theory POST request bodies could be compressed, although
that's rarely used in practice.