On 3/25/24 12:44 PM, 'Paul Jensen' via blink-dev wrote:

On Wed, Mar 20, 2024 at 2:02 PM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

If I understand correctly what y'all are trying to do here, you're trying to effectively recreate with GETs what should've been a POST.
Is the reasoning for that outlined somewhere?

POSTs have many advantages over GETs when transferring large amounts of data to the server. Most importantly, they tend to actually pass through. Beyond that, the data is not typically saved to logs (whereas URLs often are). Finally, in theory POST request bodies could be compressed, although that's rarely used in practice.

You make good points about POST vs GET usage here, and we agree with most of them.  We in fact announced our plans to transition the Protected Audience trusted signals fetches to POST and add compression <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/commit/d58a984d9088978b9ee9012a8ab869addfea2d1a>more than a year ago in our version 2 of the API.  GET, however, has the huge advantage of facilitating HTTP caching in the browser while it’s proving very complicated to architect and implement caching for the trusted signals fetches when POST is used.  We’re making good progress towards this new caching and protocol version 2, but it’s going to take more time, so splitting up trusted signals fetches is necessary until version 2 is ready.
https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/main/FLEDGE_Key_Value_Server_API.md#binaryhttp-the-packaging-layer-for-http-kv-service-requests states that the method is PUT, not POST. Is that a typo? My understanding is that a response to a PUT request is not cacheable.