On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 11:00 AM Vladimir Levin <vmp...@chromium.org> wrote:

> I looked into the UKM data about three months ago, before I started the
>> experiment to disable all mutation events on Canary/Dev/Beta. I looked at
>> the top ~30 UKM hits and dug into the site's code to see what the usage
>> was. Many (~40% or so?) of the top sites usage was due to quilljs
>> <https://github.com/quilljs/quill/issues/3806> which has since updated
>> their code to not rely on mutation events. Another maybe 10% was due to a
>> Sharepoint
>> 2016 mquery.js utility
>> <https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/sharepoint-2016-server-mquery-js-event-deprecation/m-p/3947764>,
>> for which several folks have requested support from MS, but it's a bit
>> unclear what the plan is. The rest of the sites appeared to have bespoke
>> code looking at mutation events.
>>

> Is Sharepoint 10% of the 1% usage? According to the thread you linked
> <https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/sharepoint-2016-server-mquery-js-event-deprecation/m-p/4103969/highlight/true#M80109>
>  they
> will fix it in a Sept 2024 release but seem like they won't backport the
> fix to previous versions. That seems a bit risky, but also I'm not sure
> what the breakage looks like and as you say, things seem to work.

I don't have a great way to break down how much of the 1% is represented by
the Sharepoint library, because it just shows up as a JS dependency on
affected sites. And yes that's what the public thread there says, though
I'm not sure how authoritative that is. I've reached out privately to MS to
see if there's more info I can glean. Just to confirm, I can't "see" any
breakage on those sites. The most "visible" thing, which is what gets folks
to report issues like the Sharepoint one, is the console warning that
mutation events are being used and might break. Those had the intended
effect in all of these cases, which is a good thing.

> And finally, of course, assuming I'm approved to disable in M127, I'll be
>> very mindful of breakage and will flip the events back on immediately in
>> the case that there is more breakage than I'm expecting.
>>

> Is the plan to do a finch rollout, something like 1% stable increasing
> week by week? Or were you just thinking of enabling it in 127 without finch?

So I'm definitely planning to launch this via Finch, so I can be guaranteed
that un-launching it that way will "work" for all platforms. But I could go
either way on the question of whether to ramp up slowly or go directly to
100% with the 127 release. I was leaning toward 100% of 127 on stable
release day, because I think that'll be the least confusing for people
experiencing issues. I.e. they relaunch their browser into 127 and
something breaks - they now understand what caused it. When the breakage
starts on some random day, and isn't repeatable across computers, they have
a harder time knowing they should report a bug. And I want to maximize the
chance that issues get reported quickly.

Thanks,
Mason