On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 9:39 AM Raphael Kubo da Costa
<raphael.kubo.da.co...@intel.com> wrote:

> Op 17-05-2024 om 16:59 schreef Philip Jägenstedt:
> > What will be the behavior on Android, will the API appear to work but
> > never invoke the observer callback? If so, would it make sense to
> > disable the feature on Android instead?
>
> I'd just like to check if there's a general guideline for cases like this.
>
> On Android, calls to observe() will reject with NotSupportedError, which
> I thought was fine. Does it mean that when a given API is not expected
> to be implemented for a certain OS it is better to avoid exposing its
> surface altogether, even if the binary size doesn't change as a result?

I don't think we have written guidelines, but my rule of thumb would
be to hide the whole API. This is what happens when there's a runtime
flag in the IDL and it's enabled for some platforms and disabled for
others. Exposing the API makes feature detection harder, and makes
idlharness.js tests pass for a feature that doesn't work.

An exception to this would be when some API is supported on most/all
browsers and not exposing it might be a site compat risk. But this
isn't the case when we first ship a feature, it's something we might
see when wanting to remove an API and outright removal would break too
much.

Best regards,
Philip