LGTM3

On 5/29/24 4:34 AM, Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) wrote:
LGTM2

On Thursday, May 23, 2024 at 1:01:53 AM UTC+2 Chris Harrelson wrote:

    LGTM1

    On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 3:07 PM 'Erik Anderson' via blink-dev
    <blink-dev@chromium.org> wrote:

        Hi,

        Thanks for reaching out.

        We’ve reviewed the proposal and don’t have any significant
        concerns. We’ll continue providing feedback via GitHub where
        appropriate.

        Thanks,

        Erik

        *From:*Paul Jensen <pauljen...@chromium.org>
        *Sent:* Friday, May 17, 2024 5:42 AM
        *To:* Yoav Weiss (@Shopify) <yoavwe...@chromium.org>
        *Cc:* blink-dev <blink-dev@chromium.org>; Erik Anderson
        <erik.ander...@microsoft.com>
        *Subject:* Re: Intent to Ship: Protected Audience: reporting
        timeouts & multiple-bids

        Actually CC Erik this time.

        On Fri, May 17, 2024 at 8:40 AM Paul Jensen
        <pauljen...@chromium.org> wrote:

            On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 8:36 AM Yoav Weiss (@Shopify)
            <yoavwe...@chromium.org> wrote:

                On Monday, May 6, 2024 at 10:03:16 PM UTC+2 Paul
                Jensen wrote:

                    Contact emails

                    pauljen...@chromium.org

                    Explainer

                    Protected Audience reporting timeouts:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1101
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1101>

                    Protected Audience multiple-bids:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1048
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1048>

Please fix the explainer <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1048/files#r1615583702> to remove the "in Chrome" part from the feature detection reference.

                    Specification

                    Protected Audience reporting timeouts:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1102
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1102>

                    Protected Audience multiple-bids:
                    https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1138
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/pull/1138>

                    Summary

                    Protected Audience (PA) reporting timeouts:

                    After a PA auction finishes selecting an ad and
                    that ad is allowed to start rendering, the browser
                    then runs a JavaScript function from the seller(s)
                    and winning buyer to assemble reports that are
                    sent back to their servers. These functions are
                    currently given 50ms to run, after which they're
                    aborted. We've heard feedback from users of the
                    API that 50ms may not be sufficient to assemble
                    the reports and may result in broken billing and
                    other basic functionality, resulting in lower
                    website revenue.  We’re proposing making the
                    timeout configurable up to 5s. (This JavaScript
                    generally runs in a separate process, i.e. off the
                    main thread.)

                I'm concerned about this timeout, tbh.

                It feels very arbitrary and if set by the wrong party,
                it can create some adversarial effects.

                Can you expand on why do we need a configurable
                timeout here, rather than just increasing it for everyone?

            I think configurability is useful here for a few reasons:

             1. There are potentially three different variables that
                may determine the optimal setting of this timeout:

            1.
                 1. Different devices may have different execution
                    performance, so a fixed timeout across all devices
                    may be suboptimal.

            1.
                 2. Different publisher pages may have different
                    execution requirements.  Some may be sensitive to
                    how much execution time is allowed for these
                    reporting scripts, so a fixed timeout across all
                    publisher pages may be suboptimal.

            1.
                 3. Different auction participants may have different
                    execution requirements.  Some may be sensitive to
                    how much execution time is given for them to
                    complete execution of their reporting scripts.

             2. Making it configurable allows callers of the API to
                experiment and tune to find the optimal timeout for
                particular situations.
             3. Changing the default timeout could potentially upset
                ongoing experimentation.

                If a configurable timeout is indeed needed, am I
                correct that the timeout would be set by the
                publisher, and its consequences would be felt by the
                seller?

            It’s set by whoever is initiating the auction.  This could
            be anyone on the publisher page, including the publisher
            or a seller acting on their behalf.

                Also, can you expand on "This JavaScript generally
                runs in a separate process"? Where is it run?

            On desktop, we use one process to run all bidding and
            scoring scripts for one origin, and that gets used for
            this reporting step also.  On Android, where system
            resources are more constrained, we use site-isolation’s
            heuristics to pick an appropriate process for each
            origin’s scripts.

                    Protected Audience multiple-bids:

                    Presently buyers participating in PA ad selection
                    auctions are only allowed to return one bid per
                    interest group stored on a user's device. This has
                    a couple downsides:

                     1. When that one bid does not pass the
                        k-anonymity threshold, the bid generation
                        logic must be invoked again which can be slow,
                        potentially doubling auction runtime.
                     2. This preferences adtechs that store more
                        interest groups on device as a way to get more
                        bids into the auction. Many interest groups on
                        device is something we publicly have stated is

undesirable:https://developers.google.com/privacy-sandbox/relevance/protected-audience-api/latency#fewer_interest_group_owners

<https://developers.google.com/privacy-sandbox/relevance/protected-audience-api/latency#fewer_interest_group_owners>

                    To fix this we're allowing bidding scripts to
                    return multiple bids.

                    Blink component

                    Blink>InterestGroups

<https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?q=component:Blink%3EInterestGroups>

                    TAG review

                    For Protected Audience:
                    <https://github.com/w3ctag/design-reviews/issues/723>

                    TAG review status

                    Completed for Protected Audience, resolved
                    unsatisfied.

                    RisksInteroperability and Compatibility

                    Both features represent optional new behavior that
                    shouldn’t break existing usage.

                    /Gecko & WebKit/: No signal on parent proposal,
                    Protected Audience.  Asked in the Mozilla
                    forumhere
                    <https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/770>,
                    and in the Webkit forum here
                    <https://github.com/WebKit/standards-positions/issues/158>.

                    /Edge: /Edge has announced plans to support the Ad
                    Selection API

<https://github.com/WICG/privacy-preserving-ads/blob/main/README.md>which
                    shares much of its API surface with Protected
                    Audience.

                I'd love for the Edge team to review this, if at all
                possible.

                I know it's exceeding the bounds of our process, but
                given the lack of interest in reviewing this from the
                TAG, Mozilla and Apple, and the ongoing complexity of
                this feature, it's be great to try and get some deep
                technical review from a different browser team.

            Sounds like a great idea; we’ve reached out to, and CC'd,
            Erik Anderson for comment.

                    /Web developers/:

                    Protected Audience reporting timeouts: Multiple
                    companies requesting on Github issue
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/959>and
                    WICG meeting though notes

<https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/blob/main/meetings/2024-02-07-FLEDGE-call-minutes.md#topic-2-reporting-and-top-level-worklet-timeouts-httpsgithubcomwicgturtledoveissues959>are
                    missing several comments from others.

                    Protected Audience multiple-bids: 3+ companies
                    requesting on Github issue
                    <https://github.com/WICG/turtledove/issues/595>,
                    discussed in 6 different WICG meetings

<https://github.com/search?q=repo%3AWICG%2Fturtledove+path%3A%2F%5Emeetings%5C%2F%2F+595&type=code>.

                    Debuggability

                    PA reporting and bidding scripts are debuggable in
                    DevTools. Generated bids also show up in the
                    Application -> Storage -> Interest Groups DevTools
                    pane.

                    Will this feature be supported on all six Blink
                    platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux, ChromeOS, Android,
                    and Android WebView)?

                    It will be supported on all platforms that support
                    Protected Audience, so all but WebView.

                    Is this feature fully tested by web-platform-tests

<https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/main/docs/testing/web_platform_tests.md>?

                    We plan to land web-platform-tests for both
                    features shortly.

                    Flag name on chrome://flags

                    None

                    Finch feature name

                    FledgeReportingTimeout, FledgeMultiBid

                    Requires code in //chrome?

                    False

                    Estimated milestones

                    Shipping on desktop and Android in M124.

                    Anticipated spec changes

                    None

                    <https://chromestatus.com/feature/5095020001755136>

                    This intent message was generated by Chrome
                    Platform Status <https://chromestatus.com/>.

        Google Groups "blink-dev" group.
        it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org
        <mailto:blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org>.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/BY5PR00MB0823537D831A5D4E2C1E6997F4EA2%40BY5PR00MB0823.namprd00.prod.outlook.com

<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/BY5PR00MB0823537D831A5D4E2C1E6997F4EA2%40BY5PR00MB0823.namprd00.prod.outlook.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "blink-dev" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to blink-dev+unsubscr...@chromium.org. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c1230052-6a54-49a9-833e-d6dedd1a49c3n%40chromium.org <https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/blink-dev/c1230052-6a54-49a9-833e-d6dedd1a49c3n%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.